Are you embarrassed of those unsightly stains around the collar of your pristine white shirt? Don't let people think you're a slob by wearing stained clothes. Kiss those stains goodbye.
Rings around the collar is dirt mainly composed of your body's oil. Though you can't prevent your clothes from getting these stains, you can surely prevent them from staying on your clothes.
Here are some easy and economical ways you can follow to get rid of those rings around the collar.
Things You'll Need:
It's important for the shirts to be pretreated first before you wash them like you normally would.
- Check the label at the back of your shirt for proper care. Make sure you know the proper procedure for washing your clothes, otherwise you'll have bigger problems than just a stained collar.
- Don't forget to remove things inside the breast pockets.
- Find a flat space where you can do your work.
- Carefully lay your stained shirt on the surface and start treating the stain.
- Make sure to have your old toothbrush and other materials within easy reach.
Degreasers are heavy duty cleaners used to eliminate hard to remove grease and oil on surfaces. There are different kinds of these substances available on the market.
- Put an ample amount of degreaser on the toothbrush.
- Gently rub off the stain with the brush.
- Add detergent soap in cool water and soak your clothes overnight.
- Wash your clothes using the gentle setting of your washer.
Lanolin Based Hand Cleaners
These cleaners are used by mechanics to remove oil and grease on their hands. You can also use these cleaners to remove stains on your shirt.
- Apply a small amount of lanolin on your shirt.
- Let stand for a few minutes.
- Wash the shirt.
- Do the procedure again if the stain doesn't come off.
Home Made Stain Remover
If you don't want to spend money or you just don't have the time to buy hand cleaners, you may choose to make your own stain remover.
- Mix household ammonia and liquid detergent with water.
- Put this in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on the collar and rub it using an old toothbrush.
- Let it stand for a few minutes before washing your shirt.
For White Shirts and Dresses
The following procedures are best used for white clothes only, as these methods may make colored clothing bleed.
- Make a solution made up of 50% vinegar and 50% water.
- Soak your stained clothes in the solution overnight
- Wash your clothes using a mild detergent soap and cool water the next day. (Learn how to wash clothes)
- Rinse very well
Dish washing Detergent
- Mix dish washing detergent with warm water.
- You should come up with a pasty substance.
- Rub this mixture on the collar and soak your shirt for a few minutes and then wash
- Add bleach and detergent soap in water.
- Soak your clothes for a few minutes.
- Wash and rinse very well.
- Other things you can use to remove ring around the collar are shampoo and lemon juice.
- You may also use pumice stone to remove the stain. Just be careful when using this to avoid damaging your clothes.
- Ring around the collar can be removed using a solvent-based stain removal, if you don't have that, you can also use a strong liquid detergent.
You have numerous alternatives to get rid of ring around the collar. Be very careful when choosing the solution for your clothes, especially when treating colored shirts. Bleach and other chemicals may cause your colored shirts to bleed. You don't need to spend too much on taking care of your clothes. These home remedies are sure to do the trick!.
Click here for more information on how to get rid of ring around the collar.