Living Environment

How To Get Rid Of White Mold

Oftentimes, one of the more common problems a real estate or house agent has when selling houses is a mold problem. If the house is not new (about more than three years) and lived in by a previous owner, then there’s a fair chance that that house will be the breeding ground of several mold varieties, and this is not good for business. Aside from making some prospective buyers turn away in disgust at the sight of those icky fungi, molds can also be cause for health concerns, specifically respiratory problems. There are also molds that are toxic (specially certain black molds) enough to actually cause hospitalization. When it comes to molds, you can never be too complacent or just take them for granted; molds, like other household problems such as leaky pipes or shaky foundations, need to be addressed as soon as possible. Of the different kinds of molds you can usually find in a house, one of the most common is white mold. Usually, they’re seen in places where it’s damp enough to sustain them, such as old books or musty attics and basements. They can also be found in walls and bathrooms. There are also white molds found in plants although they are more commonly defined as mildew; as such, mildews can be considered a type of mold. While white molds are generally not seen in as a negative light as black molds, they can cause allergic reactions to sensitive individuals. In any case, it’s always recommended that if you find any molds in your house, regardless of their color, they should be removed right away.

Getting Rid of White Molds

White molds can be removed the same way as other types of molds. As such, you don’t need any special concoctions or products in order to get rid of them. Here are some of the steps you can implement to get those unsightly fungi out of your house and home.

  • Lessen or remove the moisture in the room. Moisture is one of the molds’ best friend. They need it in order to start the decaying process, which all molds thrive on. Before you attempt to clean up mold, make sure that you keep any excess moisture at a bare minimum or better yet, no moisture at all. Otherwise, you will just be addressing the problem and not the root cause, making the molds appear over and over again.Find the source of the moisture. If the source is a leaky pipe or drain, then make sure to seal it up or patch it. Damp places can be rid of excess moisture from the use of a dehumidifier, especially if the room has a high humidity (about 55% or higher). You can check out a room’s humidity by using a moisture meter, also known as a hygrometer. If the room is damp because of a recent flooding problem, then you better act right away. Standing pools of water are very conducive to mold growth. Remove any pools of water and then facilitate drying by mopping up the excess. You can also use a vacuum cleaner to suck up the water; either way, make sure that all standing water is gone. Also, open up the windows and let the air in. If the room is situated in such a way that it can be directly hit by sunlight, then all the better. The air and the heat will make sure that excess water and moisture will evaporate, keeping the room humidity-free. Remember that with favorable conditions, molds can germinate is as little as 24 hours. That means that no matter how hard you clean them up, if you don’t address the moisture problem, you’ll be looking at another clean-up session one day later.
  • Use bleach and water solution. You don’t need any fancy solution to get rid of white molds. Most times, normal household cleaning products are often enough to get them out.The most common, concoct-it-yourself solution to remove molds is to use 1 cup of bleach on one gallon of water. Mix them thoroughly and then use a sprayer and spray it on the molds. If you’re thinking of using this method, however, keep in mind a few things:
    • Never mix bleach with ammonia, or other household cleaners for that matter. Mixing the two together will produce fumes that can be toxic and dangerous.
    • Before you do your spraying on the room, make sure that you open at least the windows in order to provide fresh air.
    • Wear protective gears like a non-porous glove as well as eye goggles.
    • Make sure that you follow the manufacturer’s guidelines when using bleach. The same can also be said for other household cleaning products.

    Alternatively, you can also use soap and water, but if you really want a dedicated commercial product, then you can find them in supermarkets and home improvement stores. There are products that are specifically made to deal with molds and mildew, killing them right to their roots so any chance of them growing up again will be drastically eliminated.

  • Hire a professional cleaner. If there is more than one room in your house that is moldy, then it’s a safe bet that there are other places that have it, as well. It’s also a safe bet that those places are very hard to reach, like beams on your roof or nooks and crannies in your basement or bathroom, for example. In such cases, it is better to hire the services of a professional cleaner.The advantage of professional cleaners is that they already know what to look for, where to look, and how to get rid of it, all in an efficient and thorough manner. They already have the benefit of experience under their belt and as such, they will be able to take care of molds even in places where you thought they’re not found. Also, most professional cleaners have procedures that make sure that your mold problem gets resolved and stays that way. White molds may not be as ugly as their green or black cousins but whatever the color, they’re still an eyesore. Get rid of them, and get rid of them fast. Your house will thank you for it.

Click here for more information onĀ how to get rid of white mold.

About the author

Nicole Harding

4 Comments

  • We have white mold on interior basement cinder block walls and also on low block walls in garage and outside foundation about 8 in. above ground. Have
    sprayed with Tylex on interior wall in basement which seems to have cleared
    it. Too cold yet to do exterior. Any suggestions

  • I treated a few basements with 1 cup bleach 1 cup of tsp and 1 gal of warm water to dis the tsp and seems to be good no call-backs

  • I have read a lot about white mold on structures but what about white mold on plants? They are outside and with all the rain in our area this summer, the
    ground really never dries out.
    Obviously, I can’t use bleach, etc. Any ideas or comments?

  • I have tested the air in my home it it shows white mold. We cannot see the mold, but it is in the air. How do i get rid of that?

Leave a Reply to Jerry Jackson X