Many people, especially women, don’t adore having dull darkened skin. It does not look flattering, even if it’s coupled with glamorous wardrobes, much more when wearing casual wear. Good thing darkened skin is treatable. In fact, you don’t need to look further than your kitchen, for the simplest solutions. Health and beauty stores also offer skin whitening products, in case the home remedies don’t work. A consultation with your dermatologist stands as your last and most effective option.
Home Remedies for Dark Skin
Your kitchen holds quite a number of possible remedies for dark skin. Some products act as natural whiteners while others work well as skin moisturizers. Mix some of these products and you’ll get natural treatments for dark skin. You can also combine them with commercially available skin whiteners to produce maximum results. Here’s a guide of home remedies that you can prepare.
- Lime Juice and Turmeric – Lime juice, with its high acidity, is regarded as a natural whitener. It is often used in skin toners and skin whiteners, given its ability to remove tan and skin blemishes. In your case, mix lime juice with turmeric powder and apply it on the darkened areas. You’ll soon see the results when you use the solution regularly.
- Mint Leaves – Mint not only cools the mouth, but it also refreshes your complexion. Grind several mint leaves and apply them on the darkened portions of your skin. Allow the ground leaves to settle for about 20 minutes to half an hour daily. Rinse them off with water right after. Continue this treatment for two weeks to produce significant results.
- Almonds and Milk – Milk is a natural whitener while almond is a moisturizer. Combine the properties of both products and you’ll get a pretty effective skin whitener. Mix four ground almonds with some milk. Apply the solution to the darkened skin and leave it overnight. Rinse off the solution with water when you wake up. If you’re iffy about leaving milk to dry on your skin, you can simply soak several almonds in milk and leave them on your darkened skin. Either way, you have to continue the treatment for two weeks.
- Flour, Milk and Lime Juice – With a couple of whiteners and an acidic liquid, you can create a pretty effective skin whitening solution. Mix a gram of flour with three drops of lime and two tablespoons of milk. Apply the mixture on dark and blemished skin then let it settle for 15 minutes before rinsing. Continue the treatment for a month. If it fails to show noticeable results, continue applying the solution at least once a week.
- Milk, Honey, Lemon and Almond – This solution offers the combination of a whitener, two moisturizers and an acidic solution. Such a mixture yields good results when applied religiously. Mix a teaspoon each of milk powder, lemon juice and honey. Combine the the with half a teaspoon of almond oil. After preparing, apply the solution on your face and other darkened areas. Leave it on for about 15 minutes before rinsing. You can apply the mixture whenever necessary.
To control dark skin, you need apply the treatments constantly. Give a solution a couple of weeks before deciding to switch to another. Skin color does not change immediately, so just bear with the duration. Use a concealer in the meantime.
Commercially Sold Skin Whiteners
Commercially sold skin whiteners are specially formulated to neutralize dark skin, replacing it with a light colored layer. Their efficacy varies, so you have to do some research to find the best products for you. Visit online forums regarding the most effective products on the market. if you’re unsure about what to buy, better consult your dermatologist. He or she can determine which brands and products should work well with your skin. Specialty products can also be offered by the dermatologist, which cuts down your search. Here is a list of products you can purchase:
- sunscreen (prevention)
- mercury-based ointment
- hydroquinone solution
- arbutin solution
- tretonin solution
- Vitamin C (topical)
- kojic acid
- azelaic acid
- alpha hydroxy acid
- glutathione (soap, lotion and oral medication)
Aside from whitening skin, there are products that conceal dark skin upon application. They are applied on the visible areas, hiding dark skin until the whitener finally alters your skin tone. They come as concealing powder for easy application and removal. Just use the product while undergoing a skin whitening treatment.
Consult Your Dermatologist
Dermatologists are the skin specialists in the medical field. They can diagnose the causes for darkened skin, suggest the right products to use and in dire cases, apply the most effective treatments. With their advanced medical equipment, they can bleach your skin or provide laser treatment, which targets the skin’s pigment. The treatments are expensive but promises results. Go for such treatments if you have lots of spare cash alloted for whitening your skin.
Remember, dark skin is not treatable instantly. It must be constantly exposed to the natural solutions before a change in color is influenced. Just be patient and you’ll soon see the results.
* Getting clear skin will surely complement your new found light skin. Learn how to get clear skin.